Monday, February 11, 2008

Roses for Valentine's Day....

Ok... this year, especially, I'm definitely not looking forward to an entire day celebrating love... but perhaps you are.

Roses seem to be particularly popular on this day. My mother used to be a florist and I know that this was an incredibly busy time for them. She used to tell me how different colored roses meant different things - so I looked this up and thought I'd give you a little insight before you chose your gift.
According to The Gardener's Network... "each different color has a different meaning.It sends a silent, yet extremely important message from the sender to receiver...Make sure you are sending the right message when you select roses for someone, else he or she will get the wrong message! "
  • Red - Love, beauty, courage and respect
  • White - Purity and innocence, silence or secrecy, also reverence and humility
  • Pink - Appreciation,"Thank you", grace, perfect happiness, and admiration
  • Dark Pink - Appreciation, gratitude
  • Light Pink - admiration, sympathy
  • Yellow - Joy, gladness, friendship, delight, the promise of a new beginning
  • Orange - Desire, and enthusiasm
  • Red and White - Given together, these signify unity
  • Red Rosebud - A symbol of purity and loveliness
  • White Rosebud - Symbolic of girlhood
  • Thornless Rose - Signifies "Love at first sight"
I hope this helps!! by the way... I've always preferred orange or yellow... just in case anyone wanted to send some my way!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Wanted to pop in tomorrow to leave you a valentine, but couldn't wait!!!
Sorry I didn't bring roses :)
Thanks for the comment on my post..
lol..you remind me of me too!!
I was getting tired of that dried up old leaf...