Thursday, January 31, 2008

Rabbit, Rabbit DAY!

Do you remember this from your childhood? My daughter reminded me today... it seems now that she has her own child, little bits of her childhood are coming back to haunt her.

I never knew why we did this, we just did. The first day of every month... before you utter any other words... you need to say "rabbit, rabbit" to ensure you have good luck that month. We, also, for some reason had to hop on one foot while saying it...
After researching it a bit I've found that it seems that you are supposed to say "rabbit, rabbit, rabbit" (or even "rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit) Perhaps that's where I've gone wrong... do you think the extra "rabbit" makes a difference?

According to Wikipedia, the origins go back as far as 1420 ! Possibly even the 1200's! I'm not going to mess with that history.

Tomorrow morning I will definitely say "rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit" and hop on one foot... we'll see if this makes a difference.

Oh... one more thing... if you forget to do this first thing in the morning...all is not lost! You can walk backwards down a flight of stairs or say "tibbar, tibbar" as the very last thing you say before you fall asleep that night. Wishing you much good luck this coming month! I know I could use it!

1 comment:

High Desert Diva said...

Ha, ha! Your post just made my morning!